Coast to Coast Ride

Thursday, October 23, 2008

October 21 - Fifteen days to go. More canvassing all day. There was sign on one door: "Please be patient. It will take me several minutes to answer the door." I rang the bell. After about five minutes, it dawned on me that the occupant wasn't going to answer the door. The sign is just there to lure me into wasting my time! In the evening, more phone banking. Done about 10:30.

I am staying in Ellie and Weldon's spare bedroom. Weldon is a retired firefighter. Since retiring, he's been a cook and a professional blackjack player, among other things. Ellie was for many years the personal assistant to Joe Foss, WWII Medal of Honor winner, governor of South Dakota and first commissioner of the American Football League. Ellie and Weldon spent thirteen years living in an RV, touring the country and working in national parks, campgrounds and amusement parks.

October 22 - Fourteen days to go. Canvassing all day in a rural area. While walking down a rural road, I heard a car coming up behind me, so I glanced back. After I turned forward again, I had one of those "There's something wrong with this picture!" moments. Looking back again, I saw a big American sedan coming at about 30 mph. A guy is lying across the hood against the windshield with his head hanging over the side, staring into the wheelwell. About a quarter-mile past me, the car stopped, the guy dismounted and got into the car and the car drove off. Diagnosing a noise in the wheelwell, I guess.

The campaign invites people at rallies and elsewhere to put their names on a list if they are interested in volunteering to help. Seemingly, many people do sign up in moments of enthusiasm. By the time I called them last night, the enthusiasm had cooled a little. Everybody still wanted to help, as long as helping doesn't require any actual time or effort. I managed to land a few volunteers. A few won't give any time but will deliver food to feed the volunteers. I wonder where the data comes from. I explained to one woman that I was calling because her husband's name was on my list of potential volunteers. She replied that her husband had been dead for six years. She added helpfully, "He was a Democrat, though."

We compile lists of addresses for the canvassing. The addresses have to be geographically compact, to the extent possible so that the canvasser can walk the area. We usually compile a list of 50 addresses per packet. At about 10:30 last night, the decision came down to increase the packet size for today to 60 addresses. We had to open up all the packets and reshuffle the addresses. Done about 12:15 AM.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jerry! Keep on trucking - I am so amazed by and proud of your energy and determination. I hope the poll numbers (if you and the others in the trenches ever look at such distant data) are feeding your energy just as much if not more than cold pizza, stale cookies, and even 2.5lb burritos.
GO OBAMA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home