Coast to Coast Ride

Thursday, June 07, 2007


Monmouth to Eugene: Overcast . . . Rain . . . Overcast . . . Rain . . . Hail . . . Rain . . . Hail . . . Motel! 62 miles

A 24-hour flu caught up with Roy when we arrived in Eugene. Twenty-four hours later, he was recovering and Michele came down with it. We'll take an extra rest day for recovery.

Roy and I bought new, more padded saddles. All three of us had unpadded leather saddles. They are supposed to be the most comfortable once they have broken in and conformed to the rider's butt. I have most of a thousand miles on my saddle and the only conforming occuring is my butt to the saddle. Enough!

I am told that McKenzie Pass is open to bicycles, but not to cars. The highway department plows one lane through to accelerate the snow melt in the pass and then waits for the sun to do the rest. That may be a while in this weather. We want to cross the pass before the road is opened to cars. The road is steep and narrow; the bicycles are slow and wobbly on the climb so the climb will be much more enjoyable without cars squeezing by us. Especially with two recovering from the flu, I'd like to break the climb into two days. I hope to ride as far as the McKenzie Bridge ranger station tomorrow to inquire about conditions. There is a Two Buttes campground about halfway up. If that campground is open, we'll stay there unless the weather will make camping miserable.

We will be leaving the coastal forests. I can't go without saying a word about clear-cutting. I don't understand the economics of logging; maybe there's some justification for clear-cutting. The effect is appalling. We often emerged from forest so thick that one can imagine dinosaurs roaming in it into a hillside clearing where there is nothing but grey and brown. Not even weeds are standing. To my surprise, there would sometimes be some remaining logs of up to maybe six inches in diameter lying about. Perhaps they aren't worth hauling away even though they were cut down. I can't believe this is the best way to manage our forests.

9 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you guys are surviving! Take care of one another and be careful out there! Michele, miss you and don't get sick!

Cynthia Mtz.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your stamina and perseverance! We are all cheering you on and checking the blog daily! I hope Roy and Michele are feeling better. I love the posts! I miss you dearly Michele.

Best wishes for good weather and open restaurants!

Jeannie

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the bug. Hang in there!!! About the clearcutting...check out googlemaps in areas that have be clearclut...ugly!! As for the new bike seats...I guess you can't teach and old butt new seats. Love the blog. Keep pedaling and don't look up!
Vester

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Hello riders,

And what a thrill is is to find a new posting! Please do this regularly -- if only as an excuse to come in out of the rain !!

I can't believe the downpour I se in the photo, and your reports of rain, rain rain ... Residents of the northwest have been trying to tell me it's a great place to retire, and that stories of "rainy Oregon" are greatly exagerated. This makes me wonder --- if it's like this in June, what must it be like the rest of the year?

Anyway, I looked at you route on Google map (with the impressive satellite image overlay, to get a feel of the terrain you are going through). It's awesome! I also checked the weather ahead of you (around redmond, OR). It looks as if you should be getting better conditions, though Saturday afternoon and evening may bring more showers. Clearing after that. Maybe once you are over the mountains things will improve dramatically. Let's hope so!

Lee

PS: Finding a new posting from "the ride" is the high point of the day here in Paris!

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the flu. Hope that recovery is happening. Zinc - it's the answer to everything.

Nicole

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jerry, Michelle and Roy,

The people of Taiwan are following your every move.

Jia Yo! (Go!)

I think Roy has the right idea about going light, but do you really need the Tang?

As for maps, am I wrong in thinking you can dispense with them and just head east till you see the next beach or hot-dog-eating contest?


Yi fan feng shwun! (one sail wind smooth = have a good trip!)

Randy

(Renee Sheehan's brother)

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, so sorry about Roy and Michele getting sick, about the rain & hail, about the snazzy new leather seats not being cushy for your tushy! (love the gel seats myself) Pix of the pass are beautiful so hope you can make it safely up the grade without cars hogging the lane. Couldn't find alamedaflickr to see your photos....any hints? Hang in there, we're rooting for you all. Keep us posted.
Renee

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dad, hope you are feeling better now! Hope the new seats make the difference. See you in Green Bay.
Alix

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you all are enjoying my home state. Now you know why I did not move back it never stops rainning! I hope you have or had a safe trip across the pass and that Eastern Oregon treats you better. It is wonderful to hear you are hanging in there and on your way. Enjoy the smell of the OR high desert and thanks for sharing the journey with this blog. We are all thinking about you!

Celia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home