Coast to Coast Ride

Friday, January 20, 2012

Michele, our friend Pepi, and I rode the Palomares Loop on a very frosty morning. In fact, our original plan was to get onto the road about 9:30; after looking at the temperature out in Pleasanton, we decided to delay the start by an hour. Even then, I wore leg warmers and winter gloves and I layered a windbreaker over a thick maillot over a thermal shirt. I was comfortable in the sun but it was still nippy in the shade.
We parked at the Eden Canyon/Palomares Road exit from Hwy. 580. There's a longish climb parallel with the freeway to the top of the Dublin Grade, then a long descent into Dublin. My face was frozen by the time I reached the bottom of the hill!
We followed rolling Foothill Road to Sunol, then rode down Niles Canyon Road. That's a little intimidating for traffic and narrow to non-existent shoulders.
The return is on Palomares Road, the sweet part of the ride. The road ascends along Palomares Creek. We started in a shady canyon. You see Pepi making the climb at right.
The canyon opens into a small valley. There are a couple of wineries hidden in the valley as well as a monastery.


E Clampus Vitus is some sort of fraternal organization. I believe it's kind of a liars' club with the theme of the history of the West. They may be best known for the Drake's Plaque hoax of a century ago. I am charmed by their road sign! The road climbs to a ridgetop where we paused to put on our windbreakers for the descent. I reached over 35 mph going down. I wonder how fast real riders would be going?!

We planned to ride a loop over the two bridges across the Carquinez Strait tomorrow, but we're rained out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home