Coast to Coast Ride

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gainesville

We have had two long days. A total of over 150 miles for the two days, a lot for Michele and me, maybe even for Steve at this point. Serious headwind again today. Lovely back roads with little traffic. The scenery has been unchanged since Austin: mostly skinny little trees densely packed on both sides of the road. There have been a lot of tree farms with each tree in its place. There have been some horse farms and some field crops. Yesterday, we had sixteen miles of caterpillars crossing the road. I feel like I have killed enough animals heedlessly so I tried to steer around the caterpillars. I probably annoyed my companions with my erratic steering. I was worse today; I went off the shoulder o to the rough while fiddling with my odometer. We camped last night at an RV park near the intersection of I-10 and I-75. It was our last night for camping, so we decided to use our reserve dinner, two packages of Trader Joe's rissotto, supplemented by some cans of Chef Boyardee mini-ravioli. The canned ravioli reminded us of childhood meals. The rissotto was better. We finished off with a round of Little Debbie fruit pies. After dark, I managed to tangle myself in a pair of plastic chairs and fall on my face. Fortunately, the potential witnesses were already in their tents so my dignity was preserved. I estimate that Steve and I use around 5000 calories per day, Michele somewhat less. We are eating accordingly. Starting Tuesday, we're going to be back to using 2500 calories. We're all worried about how we're going to adjust our eating to a less strenuous activity level. We're all drinking diet soda now instead of high-octane root beer or Dr. Pepper for a start. I had a Yoo-Hoo yesterday for fun.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

YooHoo's are not just for fun. Years ago it was written up in Bicycling magazine as the original energy drink. They are a good source of potassium and sodium. Much better for you than sodas. But watch those calories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home