Coast to Coast Ride

Friday, June 15, 2007


June 14 Austin Junction to Baker City 52 miles


Breakfast at the cafe (owners reported returning about 10:30). The owner/waitress recommended filling our water bottles at a spring a mile or so down the road. That turned out to be important because that was the last drinking water we saw for 51 miles.


At Tipton Pass, we encountered Dave Kohlmeier raising campaign funds in his race for a judgeship. He was picking up discarded aluminum cans. He's a veteran of the grocery business himself. I wanted to ask if he had, perhaps, attended law school, but the question sounded elitist. He hates Wal-Mart, so I was satisfied with his qualifications. Write to the Blue Mountain Eagle, the John Day newspaper, if you want to express your support for his candidacy.
On to Sumpter Pass and then downhill 31 miles to Baker City along the Powder River. Unfortunately, a fierce wind blew into our faces every foot of the way. I was in low gear. Michele pedaled close behind me for some relief from the wind. Roy, ruggedly independent, did his own. (I should mention that Roy has been amazingly powerful since we left Eugene. He races ahead of Michele and me and then stops to wait for us to catch up!) We dragged into Baker City around 5:30 after many rest stops. I was too tired to turn my head to spot the motel as we entered town. Roy loves architecture. He perked up with all the Victorian houses and 1890's store fronts. He pedaled about, exclaiming "Look at that!" to the other end of town. He came very close to a beating when I learned that we had to pedal back through town to get to the motel!
Dehydration is going to be a factor on long days in the high desert. Fortunately, yesterday wasn't all that hot. I still exhausted all three water bottles before I finished the day. I drank at least a gallon of liquid in the course of the day and woke up thirsty in the night.
June 15 will be a rest day in Baker City. My rear tire is worn down to the fabric. Michele is having some trouble with her gear shifters. The bike shop is looking into all three bikes as I write. Baker City has a charming downtown, snow-dappled peaks in the distance, a fine library for internet service. We will enjoy it.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Fathers Day!!! from Alix, Taylor and Nicole.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger wongbd said...

Hi Jerry,

We continue to follow your progress through this blog. It's an amazing journey from our armchairs in Alameda. Wonder if I could do it, if I were in your sore seat instead of my well-padded one? - Marilyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home